Friday, March 7, 2014

International Women's Day

Well, first of all, I hope you don't think I'm turning the blog into a girls club. Gender inequality is sort of a big issue in IT and I'm happy to see that people at Uppsala University are aware of it. More importantly, people here actually care and want to do something about it! So, in my humble opinion, celebrating international women's day with a networking event might not make a difference for everyone, but hopefully some of the people on the event now feel less alone. At least I hate to hear these stories about women who didn't (or couldn't) study computer science because people made them feel less capable and not adequate.

Anyway, regardless of the gender inequality angle, it was a great event! I had the opportunity to meet many people, I enjoyed discussing different points of views about Sweden and computer science, as well as planning activities that the UU ACM-W student chapter can (and want to) organise. And we did all these with fruits, bullar, coffee and tea! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! I've been reading through some of your blogposts and I really like your blog! I will be starting my Masters degree in Uppsala this fall and I can't wait! I'm from Germany and I have been to Sweden last year, I did my Erasmus for 6 months in Jönköping and I fell in love with Sweden! I cannot wait to start in Uppsala! :)

    I loved your pictures. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love Sweden already, you'll love Uppsala! It's impossible not to love it!

      Delete